Monday, April 11, 2011

Arming Yourself with the Marketing Basics

Arming Yourself with the Marketing Basics

My Space, blogs, Yahoo loops, live chats, websites…

An author has an arsenal of options available to them—so choose your weapon.

The best advice I can give you is to do something you enjoy. If you’ve never been a blogger, don’t enjoy visiting and posting on other blogs, then don’t start a blog. If you don’t like a lot of email in your inbox, then posting to yahoo loops isn’t for you. The Internet is limitless in its reach, but it can also be overwhelming. Don’t try to do everything, but plan the best use of those marketing minutes. And if something isn’t working for you, move on. You can easily take the pleasure out of writing by trudging through promotion hell.

So starting with the basics

• A signature line – Every email you send is an opportunity to tell someone about your book. However, don’t overwhelm your contact. A simple signature line will include your name, website, and perhaps the title of your current release. If you don’t have a website, use your publisher’s website, but make the website link to your book buy page.

• Blogs – Blogs are free and easy to use, but the important aspect is to be consistent and be persistent. It takes time to build a readership.

• Websites – They should do more than look good. Most authors have a website, but are you using yours as a promotional tool? It’s nice to have photos, signing dates, release information and buy buttons. But your website can do more. Showcase your talents. This is a reader’s first taste of your work. Give them excerpts and give them a reason to return. One option would be to offer a free short story to anyone who signs a guestbook. Hold monthly contests. This is a great way to start building a mailing list. Also, update your page. New reviews, new releases, any news should be posted.

• My Space, Twitter, Bebo, Facebook, the list is endless. These sites are very user friendly. These sites are also free. Like all public venues, it is important to make a strong professional page. Social Networking is also a promotional juggernaut, but it doesn’t have to be a huge time drain. Check your page once a day, Tweet once a day, spend thirty minutes a week requesting friends and utilize the features. Social Networking can give you a great web presence without overwhelming your promotional minutes.

• Live chats – Many review sites have chat rooms and many publishers have chats. The Wild Rose Press holds a weekly chat in their website chat room on Tuesday nights at 9 pm ET. These are great places to meet readers. When hosting a live chat be sure to let your author personality show through. If you write romantic comedy, you’ll want that light jovial tone to come across. This is a way to let readers get to know you the author.

• Yahoo loops – Do you start your own or work with what’s out there? Once again this boils down to time. Most review sites and publishers have Yahoo loops for promoting your books. However, I think one of the best solutions is combining forces. If you’re going to start a loop, ask a few fellow authors, writing in similar genres, to join you. Then you aren’t alone in keeping the loop active. (I also think this is a good idea for starting new blogs.)

However you choose to market your work, be sure it reflects you as a writer. Think about whether you want hot, nearly naked men on your website if you write sweet romance. When someone visits your website or other promotional spot, they should instantly recognize your brand. Branding helps a reader understand who you are as a writer and what they can expect from your books regardless of the genre.

Lisa Dawn
Marketing Director
The Wild Rose Press
www.TheWildRosePress.com

10 comments:

allywildrose said...

Great marketing tips, Lisa. I'm sure the authors will appreciate it. I learned a lot that I didn't know. Thank you!

Jannine Gallant said...

Thanks for the tips, Lisa. It does get overwhelming when you try to do too much!

Cherie Marks said...

Great tips, Lisa. I probably try to do too much, too soon, but I think it's fun to interact online with other writers and readers. I contribute to three blogs, I twitter and facebook, and I am on way too many yahoo loops, but it works for me right now.

LaVerne Clark said...

This is good, sensible and helpful information - thanks Lisa. Just a question - how do I add a signature line on all my emails etc??
Think I'll go google that now : )

Leigh D'Ansey said...

Thanks for the info, Lisa. Sometimes I find myself bogged down with the whole online marketing 'thing' and not doing any 'proper' writing. It can be hard to find a balance so it's always great to get a better understanding. Thank you.

Barbara said...

Thanks, Lisa. I find myself longing for the days of "mystery" when writers/authors lived in a private world I romanticized.

Now, I know readers want to know I'm a real lifve person vs the figment of someone's imagination (like Castle of TV fame--and someone I love!).

Barbara said...

One other thought: I am writing as Allie Hawkins for TWRP . . . and I think my pseudonym carries lots of "mystery"--if any readers are interested in WHY I chose it.

The Wild Rose Press said...

most email accounts will let you go in and have a signature line automatically added to each post. you'll have to poke around your email provider because each one is different.

Lisa

Sandra Koehler said...

I like the idea about offering a free short story and having monthly contests...please continue to post such great stuff...thanks!

Alison Chambers
www.alisonchambersromance.com

LaVerne Clark said...

Thanks Lisa - found it!