Saturday, March 22, 2008

I couldn't agree more. I've learned over the years to let my writing sit for at least (the very least) a week before I start even my first revision. Authors need a break from the story before they can begin revision. When the story is too fresh in their minds, they know what the sentence is before they even read it. It's impossible to make changes. I've started to work on some of my older stories and I'm amazed at how much I've learned since then, especially about show, not tell. Usually, I told the story. Which is fine to get it down on paper before the ideas leave you. Now I'm going back and changing it to showing the story, rather than telling it. Authors, remember, take your time and submit only your best work. We all hate rejection. Editors would much rather accept than to reject. Read your work carefully. Better yet have someone else read it. If you don't belong to a support group (RWA) join your local chapter. If you're looking for a critique partner, check out the Rose Trellis. It's hard to critique what we've written. To us the words sound great. After all, we know what tone we wanted to use. Other readers may not.

No comments: