Friday, March 28, 2008

American historicals

Hello, as an editor in the historical department, I'd like to say a few things about history. I love history. When I was in high school, I had a teacher named Jim Bond-no kidding-and he came into the classroom all fired up about his history lessons. He'd stand before the class animated and tell us the past as if it were an exciting adventure novel.

On my own free time, I read numerous history books all over the map of time. We get a lot of submissions set in Great Britain, and that's great. I love that history and have studied quite a bit of it, written novels with that setting-and my husband looks great in the kilt he inherited from his grandfather.

What would be wonderful though is to see more American history submissions. American history is fascinating, and there are a lot years, and regions, and heritages to choose from. One could choose anywhere from "The Boston Rebels" to "Native American" "African American" "The Civil War" "Early Western expansion" "The Jacksonian era" "Colonial America" "The War of 1812"...well you get the idea-the list goes on.

With so many passionately felt happenings in our past, the possibilites for romance in the midst of such adventure should be sure to spark the imagination. :) I hope to see a resurge of interest in American historicals. Anyone else?

-Corinne MacGregor
American Rose editor

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It's nice to know I'm rather normal. That sounds like my history classes. I got hooked early in school and have been devoted to reading and writing about historical periods ever since.

Thanks so much for the column!

Carol Burge said...

I absolutely love American History! In fact, that's what I write. :) I've just signed a contract for my very first Historical Western Romance and I have a few more on the back burner. :)

I was glad and so excited to see this post, because I agree, there aren't many of these around. Hopefully, this will change. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for putting in a good word for American historicals, Corinne!